Thursday, July 6, 2017

Broken


     I am heart broken.

     Not angry.

     Just.....sad.

     I work twenty or more hours per week at our little animal shelter. I spend my own money on gas, in my own car, to get these guys out of the shelter and to safety. I help spread the word to those who network. Some days, I provide food, water, and love. Today, none of that was enough.

     Many people will blame the shelter system. In truth, though, our hands are tied. We don't have enough kennels. There will never be enough kennels, no matter how many are built. Rescue groupls are full. The Fourth of July celebrations were like a war zone, for five whole nights. The fault here lies with the owners who could not be bothered to look for their lost dog. Or, the pet sitter, because sometimes owners go on vacation. Or, with our disposable society, who casts away the old in favor of something new. No matter what the reason was, a bunch of beautiful dogs have lost their lives.

     There is no point in being angry. Anger takes too much energy. When I saw that these guys had been put down, all I could do is sigh, maybe mutter an expletive or two, and move on to the next group of animals who need help.

     I am so thankful that these beauties got to get out and play for their last evening. None of us, not the dogs, my volunteer partner, nor I, knew that it was these dogs' last night, so it was just happiness and love. No sadness. And, I got to immortalize these beauties with some photographs.

RIP sweet babies. Gone but not forgotten.

RIP



RIP



RIP




RIP


RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment