Thursday, July 6, 2017

New Puppy?


     As pet owners and lovers, we've all been there. We see a cute, fluffy baby and we are instantly overcome with temptation. Or, we see a gorgeous photo of an animal and we romanticize what life would be like with a beautiful companion such as what you see.
   
     Image is everything. A picture is worth a thousand words. We desire to be seen and complimented and the beautiful animal on the other end of the leash is an extension of us. When we choose our next pet, we think in terms of "I want a German Shepherd because I had one as a kid", or "I want a Pomeranian because they are so cute and fluffy!". Rarely, do we think in terms of what is going to be the right fit for our family.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" John Ray, 1670
   
    Of course, there are people who purchase dogs for malicious reasons. But, most of us have good intentions when we seek our new furry friend. Impulse and a lack of research, though, can have dire consequences. One such example is this beautiful fawn Akita. He is a big, fluffy, gorgeous 1.5 year old male. While I am using this dog as an example, I do not know his living situation and will not speculate about his family. What I do know is that this dog escaped his yard and bit the good samaritan who tried to alert his owners that he was out.

Akita on bite quarantine
     What a beauty, right? I'll tell you, this dog is PISSED. Like many other dogs whose breed was historically used for protection or fighting, the akita does not like to be told what to do.

     Akitas, as described by yourpurebredpuppy.com are:
  • Strong willed
  • Possessive of food
  • Aggressive when not properly socialized
  • Aggressive toward other dogs of their same sex
  • Aggressive toward other animals
Many Akitas are willful, obstinate, and dominant (they want to be the boss)
and will make you prove that you can make them do things. 

This observation by yourpurebredpuppy.com is not what you think of when you see a cute, fluffy puppy, is it?

     In my past, I've had two akitas, one was a purebred adult adopted from the animal shelter as a three year old, and the other was mixed with german shepherd, adopted as a puppy from the animal shelter. My first akita, Kiko, was submissive and gentle, but also an escape artist, which led to his untimely demise. My second, Tigger, was all of the things listed above. He was a biter, possessive of food, his space, and his people. He and our other male dog (a chow/retriever mix) had big, loud, bloody, dramatic fights in the yard. He was my son's biggest protector, and also my son's biter. While I loved that dog, I was also afraid of him and, sadly, was relieved when Tigger passed from old age. 

     What can you do? Research, research, research when considering your next family member. Some things to consider:
  • How much time do you have for training and socialization
  • Your current pack - sex, age, are they already spayed or neutered?
  • How big is your home and yard
  • How secure is your fencing
  • Is this a dog that can be kept outside in the yard, or do they need a dedicated kennel
  • Can they be left unsupervised in the house
     My current pack consists of four dogs, varying in age from about 17 years old on down to 7 months old. Is my pack ideal? Oh, HELL NO. We lost one suddenly and unexpectedly, which upset the dynamic of the pack. One was a regrettable sympathy adoption, who has also greatly upset the dynamic of the pack. I will say, though, that when I had the luxury of thoughtfully researching and choosing a dog, I was looking at age (a puppy, old enough to no longer be too delicate), a female (to be a companion for our male puppy), and size (not too small, hardy enough to play with our very active Keeshond). I did not look at breed, instead looking at what was available in these criteria. Outside of normal puppy behavior of chasing cats and chewing inappropriately, we have had very few problems with our beautiful Shasta.

     What are your experiences with your dogs? Please share your story in the comments!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment