Thursday, February 2, 2017

Phoenix the Rough Coat Jack Russel Terrier!


     So, I had originally thought that Phoenix was a white schnauzer. I'll admit, these little wire haired puppies kind of look the same. But, as Phoenix's personality comes out, and he has a hint of color appearing on his ears, he is turning into a rough coat Jack Russell Terrier! Somehow, in my house, I don't end up with easy dogs, like golden retrievers. I get the tough ones, lol! We now have: Phoenix, the JRT, Shasta, a Kelpie, Dixon, a Keeshond, Sandy, a sighthound mix, and my old guy, Rusty, a cocker-terri-poo. What a houseful, right? And, we aren't even talking cats yet :)

Phoenix, the rough coat Jack Russell Terrier puppy

   
  I started him on a raw meat diet yesterday. I have supplements coming in the mail next week to supply the nutrients that he will be missing from this diet. You can see his beef bone in these photos. He LOVES his new diet!

Phoenix and his severe dermatitis


     You can really see the angry patch on his neck. He becomes highly aggressive if we try to treat it externally. A real seven pound tasmanian devil. We can't bathe him, can't medicate, can't cover (I've tried a bandanna and boot socks. NOPE, says Phoenix!)

Phoenix, the rough coat Jack Russell Terrier puppy


     The only option I have left, and honestly, probably the most sound one, is to treat internally. Food sensitivities and immune reactions are not a new thing in this house. I, myself, have been actively dealing with this for nearly 10 years. Besides myself, big brother, Dixon, has food sensitivities and was inadvertently fed something that he cannot tolerate and the poor guy is so red and itchy. 

Dixon the Keeshond

     Here is our Dixon. With all of that fur, problems are easy to miss at first glance. Luckily, he tells us when he is not feeling well. 

     Who else has dealt with stubborn skin issues? Dixon is easy enough - he gets better when we remove the offending food from his diet. Little Phoenix is another story. Please tell me your story in the comments! Or, leave a link to your own site in the comments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment