Friday, June 16, 2017

420 Puppy Update


     Oh, my gosh, I think its working. The first night on the VetCBD, Phoenix completely stopped scratching. It was like a miracle! Except, the effect was gone the next morning. That was Tuesday, though, and today is Friday. Finally, Phoenix is laying off the constant scratching. He still has episodes when his xanax, gabapentin, and rimadyl wear off twice a day. But, he is slowly returning to a normal Jack Russell puppy during the day. He fights with the cats, jumped on my dining table (!!), and will let me pick him up again.

Phoenix and Shasta

     We are still not out of the woods, yet, as there is still the risk of infection. He will NOT let me apply topicals and baths are out of the question, unless there is a severe need. We've dealt with infection before, and fingers crossed, we will not have to again. It can be a bit spendy.

Phoenix and Shasta

     Along this journey, as I have visited veterinarians, and kept our local animal control officer updated (he knew the pup from the shelter), everyone has expressed surprise at my level of commitment. Most people would have had him euthanized by now. At his best, he is a normal, misbehaving JRT. At his worst, he is highly aggressive, having attacked nearly every member of our family so far. It has been a commitment for sure, but I would do this for a human child. I took this dog because I felt like he deserved a chance at life, he was only 12 weeks old at the time. Do I regret my decision to take him? Yes. And, no. Yes, because he has turned our lives UPSIDE DOWN. And, no, because I still feels like he deserves a chance at life. As long as he is still in this fight, so am I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment