Sunday, June 11, 2017

Dignity


     I believe that all living creatures deserve to be treated with dignity. Access to their own bowl of food, clean water, a nice bed to sleep on - things that can be in short supply in a shelter situation. Water bowls get dumped, crowded kennels sometimes mean that food is stolen by a kennel mate, and they are often in close company with their own excrement.
     Volunteers and staff often talk to the animals when we feed, clean their kennels, or are passing by. Most of the time, these pets are anonymous: "Hi baby", "hey, big guy", etc. Calling an animal by it's own name is usually not a luxury that we have.
     There is dignity with being able to call someone by their proper name. This includes animals and they do know and appreciate it.

Stray German Shepherd in Los Banos, California

     I have been in contact with the owner of this dog and found out that his name is Rocky. Now, before I knew Rocky's name, he was the anonymous "Hey, big guy". He did not trust me and avoided me when I approached the kennel. After I found out his name, though, I approached his kennel again. "Hey big guy!". He turned away. Then, "Hey, Rocky".  He immediately lifted his head, whipped around and came to the door to see who called his name. While this sweet dog still will not trust me to walk him in the yard, he will come to the kennel door and let me pat his head and he will kiss my hand. 
     With this tiny bit of dignity restored for Rocky, I do hope that his stay will be a little less scary and traumatic for him. 
     If anyone is curious, Rocky's person is aware that he is there and they are working on arrangements to be able to bring him home ASAP.



No comments:

Post a Comment