Thursday, June 29, 2017

Short Lived Freedom for Rescue Puppies


     It is with a heavy heart that I write about these puppies. If you've spent any time reading Phoenix and Friends, you will know about Phoenix, my rough coat Jack Russell puppy. I have spent 5 months and nearly two thousand dollars to diagnose and treat Phoenix's self mutilation disease. I really believe that every puppy deserves a chance at life.

     I was at the shelter when these babies arrived. The finder was agitated and desperate to find help for these puppies. She had found them outside during one of our brutal heat waves and tried to care for them. Two pups had already died in her hands.

Overheated puppies 

    I was able to get these pups cooled down and eating. Here are the four soon after they came in to our shelter. 

Border Collie mix puppies

     My daughter and I spent part of my birthday transporting these cuties to meet with another transport volunteer in order to get them to a foster/rescue home. We succeeded. We gave these precious puppies their chance at life. 
     
     I found out later that the lone boy in this group did not even make it to his foster home. He went into severe distress on the ride and the entire litter was rushed to the vet, where he ended up being euthanized and the girls were given a clean bill of health. Unfortunately, two of the girls succumbed to the same mysterious illness as their brother. 

Border collie mix puppies

     The biggest puppy, the one second from left, is the lone survivor of what was originally a litter of six. Hopefully, she lives a long, full, happy life. 

     I was successful in what I had set out to do - give these babies a chance. I am happy that these babies had people who fought for their lives and gave them love and a chance. Of course, I wish that their freedom had not been so short lived.



No comments:

Post a Comment